Setting goals is essential for success. All successful people set goals and work their day to meet them. Your ability to set your goals is the most important factor for success.
Perhaps the greatest discovery in human history is the power of your mind to create and mold life. As you know, “we become what we think.” Many successful people were asked: “What are the things that you think most of the time?”. And the answer most often given to this question is that most of the time, they think about their goals, what they want to achieve and how to achieve it.
Why we do not set goals?
Now probably you wonder: if it is so important and so easy, why not everyone sets their clear and concise goals and work every day to meet them? There are several reasons why most of us do not set goals:
– Many do not realize the importance of establishing objectives. If you come from an environment where those around you did not have specific goals in life or do not talk about setting goals, certainly you do not know how important it is to set goals and work daily to meet them.
– Another reason is fear of failure. Many of us have had failures in life, failures that have marked so much that now, we fail again for fear, avoid doing things that we are not sure we can do.
– Also, fear of rejection is another important reason to keep us from setting targets. We fear that if we plan something and we don’t succeed, those around us will laugh at us, we will criticize or ridicule us. This is why it is better not to tell anyone what you set out to accomplish. Eventually, if you want someone to share your goals with, do it with loved ones, someone you know and trust that will help and will support you, rather than discourage you.
– The fourth reason is that we don’t know how to set goals. Let’s say we know how important it is to have clearly defined objectives, we have no fear of failure and we do not fear that people will criticize us if we fail. You took this decision to establish your goals, but you do not know exactly how to do this. Many of us feel that we have goals, because we want a “better life”, “more money”, “to be happy.”
These are just some dreams, some fantasies. This is one of the most common mistakes. We confuse hope with some concrete goals or desires. An objective is different from a hope or a dream. An objective is clear, concise, measurable, has a time limit and most importantly, it is written down. If we do not write our targets on a sheet of paper, the chances to meet them are significantly reduced.
Be in the top of 1%
Between 1979 and 1989 there was a study at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts. In 1979, graduates from the School of Business Administration (MBA) were asked if they have clear objectives in writing about what they plan to do in the future. Only 3% of them had concise well-defined objective, and plans for their achievement. 13% had plans, but they were not in writing and 84% had no objectives at all.
10 years later, in 1989, the same graduates were interviewed again. The 13% who had plans, but not in writing, earn on average two times more than the 84% who had no goal, and the 3% who had made plans with settled objectives and their achievements in writing, for average gain 10 times more than all the other 97% combined.
Numerous other studies show that only 3% of people have clear goals in writing and have plans for their achievement, and only 1% are reviewing their objectives and plans every day.